Print
YM
E-mail
Mai mare|Mai mic

What the newspapers say: August 28, 2009

de C.B.     HotNews.ro
Vineri, 28 august 2009, 2:55 English | Press Review

Authorities in Bucharest claim to have invested 270.000.000 euros in rehabilitating schools that will not be able to function this year. Elsewhere in the news, the President's brother regrets having involved his sibling in the arms trade scandal. Last but not least, the Romanian Government renounces the anti-fraud software for presidential elections in November, due to lack of money and time.

Authorities in Bucharest claim to have invested 270.000.000 euros in rehabilitating schools that will not be able to function this year either, Evenimentul Zilei reads. Thousands of pupils will return to school-building sites on September 14. Exoneration works have been stagnating for several years for unexplained reasons. The worst situation is recorded in the Capital: after six years of works, only nine out of 102 schools will open this September. The rehabilitation of these 102 education institutions is part of a project financed by the European Investment Bank.

According to authorities, 270.000.000 euros have been invested so far in rehabilitating schools. Out if the sum, 3 million euros went into the pockets of a consultant that should have seen the building works completed by now. As before, the pupils will migrate between several schools during the coming academic year.

Many schools in Romania, especially in the country side, do not meet sanitation regulations imposed by law. In Alba county (Central-West Romania), over half of the 658 schools do not meet the health conditions. The problem is mirrored in Timis (West), Hunedoara (Central-West), Olt (South), Iasi (East) and the list could go own. The main problems are the toilets and the lack of running water. The pupils risk hepatitis, diarrhoea, lice and scabies. In some counties, local authorities do not even know how many schools will be able to receive their students in two weeks.

In an exclusive interview for Gandul, the President's brother regrets having involved his sibling in the arms trade scandal. Mircea Basescu considers that there is no relationship between Desintco and Romagro, in their arms trade. Despite the fact he previously said he was only acquainted with one Desintco shareholder, he now confessed to knowing three, one of them Mr. Geamanu, whom he claims to have known for 1 year.

But Mr. Geamanu said they've known each other for 23 years. Mircea Basescu said he was invited by Geamanu and Romeo Oita to join Exhibition Aircraft, Defence & Security SRL (EADS) and says he was not informed by the company's change in name, now  Defence, Security and Intelligence Co – Desintco SRL, until August 21.

Mircea Basescu said that he seized a legal business opportunity, but Aurel Cazacu actually hoped for his surname to attract foreign investors. "We're in crisis. I would use anyone to be introduced to someone", Cazacu said. Mircea Basescu said that he was not aware that the company's profile could hurt his brother's image, since it was only organising events. But he regretted having joined Cazacu, Geamanu and Oita in business, which he now suspects for ulterior reasons of inviting him in the company.

The Romagro business implies international illegal ammunition and explosive traffic and Mircea Basescu is allegedly involved. It surfaced immediately after Desintco. Mircea Basescu thinks that the two scandals are not related. He distanced himself from Romagro, denying his company unloaded containers with arms and ammunition".

The Romanian Government renounces the anti-fraud software for presidential elections in November, due to lack of money and time, Romania Libera reads. One month ago, the Romanian PM Emil Boc saw the electronic vote and the anti-fraud software as a brilliant idea to save the elections fro electoral tourism. Now he considers there is no need, should all the necessary steps be taken to combat fraud.

Lib-dem executive secretary Mircea Toader said the system was dropped for fear it might encounter errors and people would accuse fraud. PSD deputy Valeriu Zgoneas said the electronic vote wouldn't have been effective because middle-aged and older people, especially from the country-side, cannot use the computer.

On the other hand, the Permanent Electoral Authority is attempting to buy software for archiving the elections' results. According to the law, the fraud can be identified and named within six months from the election day. The Boc Cabinet announced that the presidential elections are scheduled on November 22nd.
























173 vizualizari


ESRI



Hotnews
Agenţii de ştiri

Siteul Hotnews.ro foloseste cookie-uri. Cookie-urile ne ajută să imbunatatim serviciile noastre. Mai multe detalii, aici.
hosted by
powered by
developed by
mobile version
Vineri