Romania will maintain its troops in Kosovo and Afghanistan until the NATO's mission in the region will be accomplished, Romania's President Traian Basescu informed in a common press conference with NATO's secretary general Jaap de Hoop Scheffer.
Here are President Basescu's most important declarations:
- We tackled issues important for both Romania and NATO
- The main issues on the agenda were the anti-missile shield, expansion in the West Balkans and Black Sea security
- Romania will maintain its troops in Kosovo and Afghanistan
- Romania will supplement the number of Romanians in Afghanistan by 140-150 people, in general medical personnel and trainers
- The decision was already approved by the Parliament this year
- I would like to thank Jaap de Hoop Scheffer for the support Romania received last year for the NATO Summit
Jaap de Hoop Scheffer's most important declarations
- Romania will celebrate 5 years since its NATO membership. In January 2004, when I took over this position there were only 19 member states and now, when my mandate expires, the Alliance counts 28 members
- I want to express my respect for the Romanian soldiers deployed in NATO missions and express my condolences for the families of the 11 Romanian soldiers who paid with their life.
- I expressed my deep concern regarding the Republic of Moldova and hope in the same time that things will calm down, which already happened, and is an important thing
Romania's reaction was moderate and I have a deep appreciation for Romania's President regarding his position on the matter