"The contested recording contains computerised editing elements, is not authentic and does not represent an accurate copy of an authentic recording", Traian Basescu declared on a press conference on Wednesday evening, referring to the film footage in which he appears to hit a child during an electoral event organised in Ploiesti in 2004. "I'd like to sent a conclusion of my own: Shame on you, Dinu Patriciu!", Basescu said with tears in his eyes. Basescu's declaration came the same day with the Romanian National Institute for Criminal Expertise announcing that the result of the tape analysis has been sent to the presidency.
These are the most important statements made by Traian Basescu:
- I received the 181 notice from the National Institute of Criminal Expertise.
- The notice has 18 pages and I will use it in the trial against Dinu Patriciu.
- The contested recording contains computerised editing elements, is not authentic and does not represent an accurate copy of an authentic recording.
- I repeat the conclusion: the footage that I have contested contains elements of computerised editing, meant to alter integrity, is not authentic and does not represent an accurate copy of an authentic recording.
- It seems that some people are trying to will the elections through setting up fakes and through lies.
- Beyond the notice's conclusions, I have, with your permission, a conclusion: Shame on you Dinu Patriciu!
President Traian Basescu sued Dinu Patriciu, a Romanian businessman with political affiliations, and his company Best Media, asking the Court to force him to pay up damages worth one leu. The first session of the trial is scheduled for April 21.