After heavy snowfalls and strong wind, the week in Romania starts with 16 national roads closed to traffic due to unfavourable weather conditions. The most dramatic situation occurred in Dambovita (south), Giurgiu (South), Arges (South), Ialomita (South) and Buzau (south-east) counties. The traffic towards the port-city Constanta (south-east) is completely blocked and one can only get there on side roads, but Police advises drivers not to use them.
The Bucharest - Pitesti motorway has been closed since Sunday, 8 pm. Drivers can use the route DN7 Bucharest -Galati - Pitesti. The route is crowded, though, because many commuters work in Bucharest and need to use it. On several national and county roads the snow is higher than half a meter and the utility machines meant to clear the snow are futile. Some trains have been cancelled in the region due to the weather.
250 people are blocked on national road DN3 since Sunday night, in Calarasi (south-east) county, in the region of Lehliu. Their cars are stuck in the snow. The police and utility vehicles are there, trying to get them out. One of the drivers there said he has not received any help from the authorities, meaning a blanket, food, hot drinks or information about the weather.
In Bucharest, mayor Sorin Oprescu requested the help of the Road Police. The cars which have not been parked according to the rules will be towed, so that service vehicles may be able to clean the roads. The snow is turning Bucharest into havoc. Oprescu insisted that bus and tram stations, as well as main boulevards and tram rail be cleared.
The worst traffic is recorded in sector five, where the snow is due to be removed, as well as on side roads. The county council has closed about 30 main arteries in Bucharest last night in order to clear the snow.
Here is the Infortafic list of closed national roads:
- in Ialomita county: DN2A Urziceni – Slobozia, DN21A Baraganu (Braila) – Tandarei;
- in Ialomita county: DN1D Urziceni – Albesti (Prahova);
- DN2 Buzau – Urziceni;
- in Buzau county: DN 22 Ramnicu Sarat – Braila and DN2C Costesti – Padina;
- in Vrancea county: DN 23B Maicanesti – Ciorasti;
- in Teleorman county: DN51A sectors Zimnicea – Piatra and Traian – Seaca, DN65E Rosiori de Vede – Piatra, DN5C Pietrosani – Bujoru and DN51 Zimnicea – Izvoarele; DN65A Buzoesti (Arges) – Turnu Magurele (Teleorman);
- in Galati county, DN24D in Craiesti;
- in Giurgiu county: DN41 Chirnogi (Calarasi) – Daia;
- in Calarasi county, DN3 in Ileana, Lehliu-Sat, Tamadau Mare and Vlad Tepes, DN31 Cuza-Voda – Oltenita, DN4 Oltenita – Budesti;
- Motorway A1 Bucuresti – Pitesti was closed at 8 pm (local time);
- Motorway A2 remains closed for the Bucuresti – Drajna sector.