President Traian Basescu declared on Wednesday night for a news television B1TV that the maximum number for the regions is eight counties plus Harghita and Covasna, dominated by the Hungarian minority that will remain separate and dependent on government financing.
He said that if the Hungarian Democrats refuse, there will be no territorial reorganization but a decentralization.
Basescu said that it is very important for the country to find a political solution for Romania’s territorial reorganization.
Here are his statements
- There is a confusion related to counties 8+1
- The two counties, Covasna and Harghita remain the way they are
- The option 8+2 is the maximum that we can offer. The two counties remain dependent on the state’s financing
- If the Hungarian Democrats refuse, there will be no territorial reorganization
- The central apparatus spends 25.4% of the state budget
- We need to diminish bureaucracy in the territory.