Agriculture Minister Ilie Sarbu declared in a press conference on Thursday that the Agriculture's contribution to the economy decreased constantly during the past four years, from 12% of the GDP in 2004 to 7% in 2008. At the same time, European funds for Agriculture were not accessed.
Main statements, in brief:
- We made compensation payments for mountain areas and offered subsidies for agriculture;
- The animal stock decreased during the past years. There are less pigs and fowls. The milk production also decreased.
- Romania imports 70% of the pork meat and 35% of the fowl meat interior consumption;
- We have 230 million Euros rendered available for Agriculture and we haven't accessed it, we're not even prepared to access it;
- We put up a team to solve the problems with the irrigation system;
- We failed to attract any funds for fishing.