Liberal leader Crin Antonescu, who ran for Romania's presidential elections in the first round and came third, urged Romanians on Friday to go to the polls: "Some of you are disappointed because I did not make it to the second round. I urge you to go out and vote. If you don't come to the polls, others will vote for you". He added that people have to choose between "Traian Basescu, whom we know and don't want anymore, and Mircea Geoana, who comes with a project and a team".
Crin Antonescu's statement:
- I, Crin Antonescu, and the party that I run, but also the majority we have built support Mircea Geoana.
- I built this project and I stay dedicated to my position.
- In this campaign, we saw a president holding on to anything and certain people that want to keep their warm seats.
- Some of you may be disappointed that I did not make it to the final round. I urge you to come to vote. If you don't vote, others will vote for you.
- We need to choose between Traian Basescu, whom we know and don't want anymore, and Mircea Geoana, who comes with a programme and a team.
- At the fall of the dictatorship, having Traian Basescu takes us close to it again.
- I ask you to vote in the name of this project in which I believe. Traian Basescu will never be able to become a dialogue partner.
- We area country in which decency is luxury and politeness is eccentricity.
- Go to the polls to make a change for the next five years. I back the Johannis project, which I have built, and Mircea Geoana is the candidate who makes it possible.