The decision of the Social Democrats to contest elections is democratic, constitutional and legal, President Basescu declared in a press conference. The best attitude in such conditions is to watch calmly how politicians struggle, Basescu added.
Basescu urged the political class to enter a climate of understanding in order to be able to continue the messages they received from citizens in these elections.
Here are his most important declarations:
- I thank all Romanians for their turnout at the referendum at the Presidential elections
- The massive participation shows the people's trust in democracy
- Romanians are convinced that the results of these elections will be applied by institutions as it was reflected in their votes
- I thank all Romanians irrespective of whom they voted
- The competition period is over, we need to reconcile
- The Social Democratic gesture to contest elections is democratic
- I am convinced that the state institutions will function properly and we will have the result most Romanians wanted